Tuesday, August 29, 2006

THE SPAGHETTI LISTS

For some reason I'm on the mailing list of Eddie Spaghetti of The Supersuckers.

Today Eddie sent me his lists of "Over-Rated Bands of All Time" and Top 10 American rock bands. I don't agree with all his choices on either list, but feel free to add your own choices in the comments section. Here's the list with Eddie's comments:

Over-Rated

1 The Doors
2 The Velvet Underground
3 Radiohead
4 R.E.M.
5 U2
6 Coldplay
7 Kiss
8 The Beatles
9 Dave Matthews Band
10 Tiger Army - no, I'm kidding! They're FAR from over-rated, they just suck. (I dunno why they're my new favorite whipping boys. It used to be that Sully guy from that heavy metal band whose name I can't remember). 10, unfortunately, has got to be Pearl Jam. Or the Red Hot Chili Peppers, I'm not sure. At least Eddie Vedder can sing!

So... now you may discuss. This list in no way means that a band is no good (although The Doors are clearly that) and I actually like some songs by bands on this list, I just think these bands are all held in such high regard that their music to merit ratio is WAY out of whack. There could also be a more current version featuring bands like Modest Mouse, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Death Cab For Cutie, My Morning Jacket, etc. But we can do that later. I also left off a lot of these "jam bands" that are way too popular for their own good, (You know who the guiltiest ones are), because I admire their D.I.Y. work ethic. (I had to include Dave Matthews though because I see him occasionally at my local coffee shop and we've needed something to talk about for awhile now.)

OKAY, just for frame of reference, so you can see where I'm coming from, here is my list of Top 10 AMERICAN rock bands. Remember, these are just the ones from the USA here:

1 The Ramones
2 C.C.R.
3 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
4 ZZ Top
5 Van Halen
6 Aerosmith
7 Cheap Trick
8 Replacements
9 X, The Pixies, Zeke, Zen Guerilla, Nirvana, Dwarves, Supersuckers, The Hangmen, Lazy Cowgirls, Mick Collins (Dirtbombs, Blacktop, Gories) The Upper Crust, etc...
10 The Rolling Stones

9 was hard. I sort of crammed all my faves in there (and I think Nirvana may be number 11 on the over-rated list. They suffer from being over-rated AND influential which kind of goes hand in hand, I guess). I realize also that the Stones are not from America, (just in case you thought I lost my mind) but it seems like they deserve the "honorable American" status to me. Like when you give some dumb actor or musician and "honorary doctorate" at some university or something.

TERRELL'S SOUND WORLD PLAYLIST

Sunday, April 14, 2024 KSFR, Santa Fe, NM, 101.1 FM  Webcasting! 10 p.m. to midnight Sundays Mountain Time Host: Steve Terre...