Thursday, October 26, 2006

BEIRUT COMES HOME TO SANTA FE


I'm too tired and burnt to write anything resembling a coherent review, (plus I've been dealing with computer issues for a couple of hours that have me ready to maim and kill) but I have to say a few words about the Beirut show at the College of Santa Fe Wednesday night, which exceeded all expectations.

And I wanted to post a few snapshots. There will be more on my FLICKR page tomorrow, I promise.

While, as I indicated in my review Friday , I was quite taken by Beirut's album Gulag Orkestar. However, much of the album seems somber and foreboding. I wasn't quite sure how it would go over in a concert setting

No worry was necessary. Playing live, Beirut is a damned party. Without losing a bit of the texture and intricacy captured on the record, Zach Condon and band was in pure celebratory mode -- blowing horns, gypsy violin, accordion, a baritone sax and crazy ukuleles -- and of course Zach on trumpet. Everyone was switching off instruments and the magic was near seamless. And ever so often I'd hear a clatter behind me only to find some of the members out in the audience banging their tambourines.

Of course it was a homecoming for Condon, who spent part of his youth here. (I got to meet his dad after the show.) And apparently at least a couple of others attended school at SF's College of Knowledge. The crowd -- dang there had to be at least a couple of hundred people there -- treated Condon and Beirut like conquering heroes.

Rightfully so. I'm hoping this band goes far.

Hey you Albuquerque folks -- Beirut is playing The Launchpad Thursday night and it's only $5. No excuses! Be there.

UPDATE: Here's a link to my photos from the show.

TERRELL'S SOUND WORLD PLAYLIST

Sunday, April 14, 2024 KSFR, Santa Fe, NM, 101.1 FM  Webcasting! 10 p.m. to midnight Sundays Mountain Time Host: Steve Terre...