Saturday, October 21, 2006

eMUSIC OCTOBER


* Indian War Whoop by The Holy Modal Rounders. Imagine a full-color remake of Li'l Abner where everyone in Dogpatch is tripping on acid ...



* Dreams Come True - Hi - I Love You Right Heartily Here - New Songs by Judee Sill Most of these are outtakes from the long-lost third abum by the troubled Judee, who died before it ever saw the light of day. This doesn't match up to Heartfood, but it's a welcome addition to the works of a tragically overlooked singer and songwriter.

* Ray Sings, Basie Swings by Ray Charles & The Count Basie Orchestra. This album features live Charles vocals backed up by the Basie band later in the studio. Artificial? Maybe. But it sounds terrific. I couldn't resist when I saw it had "O What a Beautiful Morning." And it didn't disappoint. It was almost as good as the time I saw Ray live.


* RE-Search: Incredibly Strange Music Volume 2 Some cocktail exotica. Some "outsider" music. Some bad novelty tunes. Some Ken Nordine "word jazz." A bad raga-rock version of "The Letter." And, of course, Little Marcy, a singing Christian puppet. I was playing some selections from this album in the office Friday. "Where do you find this stuff?" a co-worker asked. "I don't," I replied. "It finds ME."


" Delusion of the Fury by Harry Partch. I'm just wild about Harry. He's a true musical iconoclast who not only invented his own scales but inveneted his own strange instruments on which to play his otherworldy wonder works. He hated synthesizers. He hated academia. He was a hobo as well as a homo. Check here for his bio and seek out his music. This one's a good place to start.


America's Most Colorful Hillbilly Band by The Maddox Brothers & Rose . I heard "The Meanest Man in Town" on Home of Happy Feet Tuesday night, I knew I had to have more Maddox Brothers & Rose into my life. This California family band was loud and rowdy and sister Rose was pure hillbilly sex appeal. I only had enought left on eMusic this month to download 15 tracks, but I'll be back next month to nab the rest of this -- and possibly the second volume also.

TERRELL'S SOUND WORLD PLAYLIST

  Sunday, March 24, 2024 KSFR, Santa Fe, NM, 101.1 FM  Webcasting! 10 p.m. to midnight Sundays Mountain Time Host: Steve Terrell E...